8.01.2010

Bread stuffing, speckled beans, mutant cheerios and rainbow cupcakes


This is the way we stuff our bread.


I was drawn to these red spotted beans at the farmer's market on Saturday because they were so visually striking. Then I heard the seller telling another customer how best to cook them (boil until tender and then sautee in garlic & oil). Sold!

Shelling them was a family activity; Jacob and I opened the pods and Sadie picked out all the beans and put them into the bowl. I love how they look like jelly beans! They were delicious (Sadie ate nothing but a giant plate of beans for dinner) but I was sad that in the cooking they lost the amazing color and turned rather gray.


This is a mutant Cheerio that fell out of the box into Sadie's bowl one morning. I believe that it is a tube of cheerios before getting cut (or a periscope). I never really thought about how cheerios were made, but this is pretty cool.


For my next trick, I will bake six dozen (plus) mini cupcakes a la Magnolia, and make them rainbow colored to boot. Since they are so pretty on top, I will frost them instead in the middle! Yum!!!

No comments: